Release GCompris Qt 0.61 and reorganization.

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at gcompris.net
Sun Aug 7 17:25:53 UTC 2016

Hi all,

Some of you are aware that I have a new "day" job and I don't have time
anymore to be active on GCompris. So this release note is important to
me because it will also be my last one. From now on, the releases will
be handled by Johnny.

As I cannot be active anymore, it would not make sense to continue
selling GCompris. After investigating several options and in accordance
with the most active members in our community, I decided to transfer the
business operation to Timothée Giet. Timothée is a graphic artist with a
long list of contributions on GCompris and in the KDE community. For
now, all sales go to Timothée and he is in charge of the commercial
support. There are no changes in the licensing nor in the development
process which is still under the responsibility of the KDE community
(Johnny Jazeix being the most active contributor).

Concerning the release notes, the new activities are:

# A simple wordprocessor (baby_word_processor by Bruno Coudoin), this
activity is not available on mobile platforms due to issues with the
virtual keyboard: if we only use the real keyboard, styles don't apply
and if we only use the virtual keyboard, we can't navigate in the text,
select it...
# A tangram (by Bruno Coudoin). It starts with children friendly levels to
introduce each concepts little by little and end up in the real tangram.
# Explore the monuments of the world (explore_monuments by Ayush Agrawal
during SoK).
# An activity in which the children must color a graph so that no two
adjacent nodes have the same color (graph_coloring by Akshat Tandon
during SoK).
# Pilot the spaceship towards the green landing area (land_safe by Holger
Kaelberer).
# Find the differences between the two pictures (photo_hunter by Stefan
Toncu).

Timothée Giet updated images for chess, hangman and horizontal/vertical
reading activities along with the gcompris logo.

Lots of little fixes/improvements have been done (storing and restoring
the window's width/height at start-up, docbook updated, levels/images
bonus, adding an internal dataset for words games so that we no more
expect the network to run GCompris (except for the voices but they also
can be bundled in the binary).

On translation side, we have 17 languages fully supported: Belarusian,
British English, Brazilian Portuguese, Catalan, Catalan (Valencian),
Chinese Simplified, Dutch, French, Galician, Italian, Norwegian Nynorsk,
Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Spanish, Swedish, Ukrainian and some
partially: Breton (88%), Chinese Traditional (97%), Estonian (82%),
Finnish (74%), German (93%), Russian (83%), Slovak (76%), Slovenian
(82%), Turkish (82%)

If you want to help, please make some posts in your community about
GCompris.

The source code tarball is available here [1] (GNU/Linux packagers are
welcome)

This release can be seen online on
http://gcompris.net/news-fr.html#2016-08-07