[GCompris-devel] GSoC student says hi

Stefan TONCU stefan.toncu at cti.pub.ro
Mon Apr 25 21:00:41 UTC 2016

I salute all the GCompris Community
It's like yesterday when I entered the GCompris irc chat for the first time. The past five months have passed very quickly and here I am, your selected Google Summer of Code student. I feel very happy and at the same time, very honored to be part of such a great community. I look at the future with big hopes that my work during this program will help GCompris move forward and grow even more.
Anyways, it's time to present myself: my name is Stefan Toncu. I am an engineering student presently in my second year of study at the Faculty of Automatic Control and Computer Science from the Polytechnic University of Bucharest, Romania. During the last five months, I had the privilege to work at GCompris: fix some bugs for start, add new features. Now I am developing a new activity, "Share", in which I aim to teach children how to divide numbers. You can see the progress I made on "Share" here<https://youtu.be/HsWKnUhNOaA> <https://youtu.be/HsWKnUhNOaA> or you can clone my repo<https://github.com/StefanToncu/GCompris-qt/tree/Share> from Git.
While trying to familiarize myself with qml and the way GCompris works, I also started porting an activity from the old Gtk+ version. The activity is "PhotoHunter" and you can watch the progress here<https://youtu.be/yT2_Fazb0H8> or look into the code here<https://github.com/StefanToncu/GCompris-qt/tree/PhotoHunter>.
These two activities are not yet merged into the master, so if you have time and new ideas about the further development of any of the two activities already mentioned, please share them with me, I am happy to hear them.

Regarding GSoC program, you can take a look at my proposal here<https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2AJAeoABSR9OC01OWstYmpYRk0/view?usp=sharing> if you want.
The first thing on my ToDo list is porting "Crane" from Gtk+. This activity is basically oriented on "watch and copy the pattern".
Secondly, I will be working on "Letter classification". This activity is already listed on the phabricator page<https://phabricator.kde.org/T1549>.
Finally, I will port "TuxPaint" from Gtk+.
For more details on these three activities, check my proposal, there they are described in a more technical way. Like on the other ones, I would like to ask for your opinions and ideas of how to start and develop the activities.

You contact me on:
Gmail: stefan.toncu29 at gmail.com
Email: stefan.toncu at cti.pub.ro
irc: stefantoncu

P.S. Thank you for your time and for giving me this big opportunity!
I will regularly update my blog, so check it out as well: https://stefantoncu29.wordpress.com/

Best regards,
Stefan