[GCompris-devel] saving the progress for Lang activity.

JAZEIX Johnny jazeix at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 20:20:37 UTC 2015

Hi,

to be more precise, the point here is to see how we can have a generic
solution to provide activity progress and status to users (either
teachers, parents or even children).

The proposed solution is to use a new config file containing only the
statistics for all the activities.
Then, it should be easy to create views for teachers and users. I don't
think saving it in a qml is interesting (you probably misunderstood why
I was talking about qml, it's for the translations not for saving stats).
A simple .ini file like for configuration could be enough. Then, we need
to think if there is an interest to use a database instead (maybe easier
for integration with the admin interface? We can even think of having an
activity showing the progress :))?

For the coding part, we should probably have a qml element doing all the
job and use it in the activities (maybe in the ActivityBase so

On 06/27/15 15:04, Siddhesh Suthar wrote:
> hello,
>
> I am porting language learning activities. Its almost complete. Now i
> have to save the progress of words which a user has learnt per lesson
> wise.
>
> The current idea I discussed with JohnnyJ is to save the progress in a
> qml file inside (resource/data) of the activity. then, we need to see
> how to define the format.
> There can be different approaches to it.
>
>  1. we store only the savedProgress corresponding to its lesson, and
>     everything else for the menuModel will be fetched from words.json
>     through lang_api

To precise a little, savedProgress is a js variable storing while
playing the activity the percent of completed words for the current word
category. It is not yet permanent so every time the user restarts
GCompris, the progress is reinitialized.

>  1. we also have to think if we can make this saving generic and where
>     do we store it (as I don't think it is great to save it in
>     configuration file because then as we want this to be potentially
>     usable by other activities, putting these in the config file don't
>     look like to be a good idea).
>  2. johnny jazeix added:  I would prefer a special file for all the
>     progresses because then, if the teacher wants to retrieve all the
>     stats for a child, only one file with only necessary data would be
>     better instead of all the config file.
>  3. In json, we can't translate (use qsTr()) but you can in qml, so it
>     was more to provide the translators all the strings in the same
>     translation file they already use.

The last point is not useful for the current issue ;).

Johnny