[gcompris-devel] Xprize

Emmanuel Charruau echarruau at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 23:14:30 UTC 2014

Hi Bruno,

I do not have a deep academic knowledge, outside Roland Goigoux, Michel
Fayol, Alain Bentolila (for writing/ reading), Brissiaud for Mathematics
and Tauveron for litterature I don't know much on academic side but it is
better if you know these one to become a teacher over here.
On the practicle side I read as much as possible in order to prepare my
class and I am a fan of active teaching.

About the progressions.

I would maybe not lock a level to another but propose a path using a sort
of tree aproach, the children know they can do the activity in the order
they want, they are free, but they also know that if they take the proper
way they will succeed much better. For a child, starting to think how he
will achieve to learn a knowledge is very important, he becomes active.
This is the principal on which works the PMEV http://www.pmev.fr an other
pedagogie related to the "education mutuelle" I spoke about yesterday.

We could build it following the "knowledge tree" from Michel Serres (by the
way that's the same guy who invented the word "ordinateur" for computing in
french).
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbre_de_connaissances
This representation in tree has the advantage to show to the children that
they improve over time. They can see with the time more and more part of
branches, more and more leaves are becoming green according to what
competences they have achieved. I have never seen any computer software
doing it but I would guess that if you could animate a timelaps of
progressions children would be aware of when they improved on what and it
would give them even more courage to learn more.

The reward is really to have a complete green branch for me. This is enough.

About children helping each other, even in the same class you have huge
differences you don't need to have difference in age :) One of the best way
to learn is to teach (Ldl approach from Martin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Learning_by_teaching so it would be a huge
point to differentiate our project from the other if we incorporate social
in our software to make people working with each other and learn from each
other.

I even thought about something else this morning. Since in any group you
have really brilliant kids we shoudl find a way to let them create new
courses maybe more adapted to their way of life (for exemple they could
take a photo of something we don't know about and write the matching word
to create a new stage in the phonetic area ?)

A huge task but we would get amazing results.

Funny exercice for myself that you are making me doing, putting on words
everything I was thinking about since a few decades ;)

Emmanuel (Allon)