[gcompris-devel] Global learning XPRIZE

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at gcompris.net
Wed Sep 24 21:33:47 UTC 2014

Le 23/09/2014 00:29, Robert Lewis a écrit :
> In my view it depends individually on the child.
> My 5-year old Granddaughter amazed me by hunting around and learning the
> rules
> for maybe 50 or more Gcompris activities.  She is still 5 and always asks
> if it is ok
> for her to use the computer and she heads directly to Gcompris.  This is
> the one that
> landed on chess and had the failure I wrote about earlier.
>
> Other Grandkids that I have settled on just a few of the Gcompri programs
> and continued to work with them instead of exploring on their own.

Hi,

Thanks a lot for your feedback. It is always a pleasure to learn that
our work is useful.

Back to XPRIZE, It's kind of a hard problem to approach. Nobody knows if
there is really a solution to this problem.

On the GCompris side, we could go the naive way and enhance it here and
there to provide voice instructions and thus let non reading children
play more activities. We can add activities to teach how to write
letters, activities that teaches phonemes and all we can imagine.
Technically it is not that difficult and is something we may do even
without focusing on XPRIZE.

But in my opinion we miss a scientific pedagogical  guidance. Doing the
naive way may work in the field but we would have a hard time to explain
our approach and thus fail at the selection stage. Here is the detail of
the schedule:
http://learning.xprize.org/about/schedule