[gcompris-devel] Release GCompris Qt 0.23

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at gcompris.net
Thu Nov 13 00:44:59 UTC 2014

Hi,

I just uploaded on the Android play store and on
http://gcompris.net/download/beta a new build of the Qt version. This
time I built different binaries:

- http://gcompris.net/download/beta/GCompris-Android-intel-0.23.apk
- http://gcompris.net/download/beta/GCompris-Android-arm-0.22.apk
- http://gcompris.net/download/beta/gcompris-0.21-Linux.sh

The name should be obvious, this time I built an intel version . I have
been reported that it improves the performance on Intel based tablets.
Little notice, the version 0.22 and 0.23 are really the same except for
the number. This is required by the play store to handle the intel / arm
version. Intel is the higher so that intel tablet get it. But as arm
tablets can't get the 0.23 they will be proposed the 0.22. Doing it the
other side would not word as Intel accept arm code through emulation.

There as been a major fix in the way we use the particles. GCompris
should run on some tablets where it was crashing at startup.

There is also a shell auto extracter for Linux. This may give the
oportunity for Linux users to test the new version without taking the
pain to compile it. Let me know if this approach works or not.

I started to work with the KDE i18n team to hook GCompris to their
process. To this end I did had a dependancy on ExtraCMakeModules from
KDE. You have now to install them (need to update the wiki).

It took some time to refine all this little issues here and there. The
number of activity is now 84. The last one is the Braille by Arkit Vora.

My next focus is to work on this point :

Another important topic is to provide better instructions on each
activity. This is an area where GCompris has always lacking. We have
room for improvements there. To help on this task I extracted all of
them on an online editor, your help will be appreciated:
http://lite4.framapad.org/p/GCompris_ActivityInfo.qml

Once the review is complete we can string freeze and give a go the the
KDE translation team.