[gcompris-devel] Introducing myself

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at gcompris.net
Sun May 4 22:22:54 UTC 2014

Hi,

Sorry for my late answer.

Le 26/04/2014 01:37, Marius Kruger a écrit :

> Yes that is where I'll start, still need to figure out how to run from
> source but I'm sure it is easy once I have qtcreator. I assume the qt-quick
> one will still work on desktop PC's.
Have you been able to setup your development environment?

> I need a much simpler activity, like a keyboard explorer for babies.
>
> Activity 1, Level 1: Press any keys on the keyboard (show a keyboard and
> tell user to press buttons). Show a list of 10 vague/greyed out buttons or
> placeholders at the top that serves as a counter.
> If a key is pressed it is displayed really big an a voice tells you what
> that button is eg. a or enter or spacebar .  Every button is a successful
> action and fills in one of the vague buttons at the top.
> After 10 successful actions - level up.
I understand the concept of having a big letter being displayed when the
key is hit but I don't see what the vague buttons are for.

On this, we have a large collection of images [1] each with an
associated text. Maybe an option would be to display the image Apple
when the A key is hit.

|1] http://gcompris.net/activity/lang/

> Level 2: Maybe add some sort of time constraint eg. user must press a
> button every 5 seconds, if not then, one of his previous buttons get's
> reset. Will need some sort timer indicator eg. a packman coming to eat some
> of the pressed keys.
We don't like much time constraint in GCompris activities. It must be
tuned to 'normal' children and GCompris is very appreciated by children
with disabilities which are penalized by timers.

> Activity 2: Show a big button on the screen and the user must press it on
> the keyboard. This is closer to falling letters but a bit simpler and less
> distracting.
I like it. In the image concept of the previous activity it would mean
displaying the image and its first letter and the children must find it
on the keyboard.

> If I can figure out how I'll try to start implementing these and try them
> out on my son/beta tester, and obviously posting my progress and branches
> here.
Sure, your welcome.