[gcompris-devel] GCompris's future

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at gcompris.net
Sun Feb 9 20:47:24 UTC 2014

Le 09/02/2014 21:34, Yannis Tsopokis a écrit :
> On 02/09/2014 05:32 PM, Bruno Coudoin wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> This is a good news. Concerning the name, I really want to keep the
>> GCompris name. It is now know and recoknized all over the world. It
>> takes time to build a such reputation and I am afraid to start over from
>> scratch.
> I believe you should give the new project a fresh name. The G in front
> of tha name will make most people believe it is GTK based.
The "G" stands for Gnu, not Gtk+ and it makes a pun word "j'ai compris"
in french which "means I have understood".

BTW, our users just don't know and care in which graphical toolkit it is
build so the G meaning is not relevant to them.

> You can still
> use gcompris name for the site and the executables but you should make
> people used to a new name (Qompris is another idea). When you reach a
> stable milestone you could launch a new site for the new project and
> create links to this one. If you do it early it will be easier. Since
> the GTK version will not receive any new features it is a good idea to
> let gcompris fade away.  (my 2 cents)
No I don't agree. Like I said GCompris is referenced and know worldwide
under that name. We would loose our users by changing the name.
>> Concerning the chat activity, the way it was implemented was based on a
>> network multicast. It was designed to work only in a LAN like in a
>> classroom. It was not working in some places with Wifi that blocks
>> multicast. So there is some thinking to have, how can it be done if we
>> want to target tablets and desktops, what about cellular connections.
>> Maybe the best is to create a web service for this. Another important
>> topic is privacy, children should be able to communicate only with their
>> classmate or known specific children. How to manage that. Do you have
>> ideas on this?
> I believe the best way to work (without the need for a server node) is
> to have a UDP broadcast between the clients. This way any new node will
> automatically join a chat. Furthermore broadcast is by definition LAN
> specific and Wifi connections should have no problem work with it.
I like it.

> Some ideas on the chat activity:
>
> 1) users should be able to choose a username.
> 2) username will be sent along with the hostname
> 3) a user can set a channel and only users on the same channel can
> send/receive messages
I agree.
> 4) the channel editbox could be type: hidden/password, so others cannot
> just look on your screen to find it.
This is not that important to hide it, I assume this will be used in a
classroom or a home where the children is safe.

> 5) An elevated account (how can this be implemented?), can have access
> to all channels and ban/mute a user.
I don't think anybody will want to take this role. This also means that
anybody could easily spy the users, not desirable.