[gcompris-devel] GCompris's future

Yannis Tsopokis yannis at tsopokis.gr
Sun Feb 9 20:34:31 UTC 2014

On 02/09/2014 05:32 PM, Bruno Coudoin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This is a good news. Concerning the name, I really want to keep the
> GCompris name. It is now know and recoknized all over the world. It
> takes time to build a such reputation and I am afraid to start over from
> scratch.

I believe you should give the new project a fresh name. The G in front
of tha name will make most people believe it is GTK based. You can still
use gcompris name for the site and the executables but you should make
people used to a new name (Qompris is another idea). When you reach a
stable milestone you could launch a new site for the new project and
create links to this one. If you do it early it will be easier. Since
the GTK version will not receive any new features it is a good idea to
let gcompris fade away.  (my 2 cents)

> Concerning the chat activity, the way it was implemented was based on a
> network multicast. It was designed to work only in a LAN like in a
> classroom. It was not working in some places with Wifi that blocks
> multicast. So there is some thinking to have, how can it be done if we
> want to target tablets and desktops, what about cellular connections.
> Maybe the best is to create a web service for this. Another important
> topic is privacy, children should be able to communicate only with their
> classmate or known specific children. How to manage that. Do you have
> ideas on this?

I believe the best way to work (without the need for a server node) is
to have a UDP broadcast between the clients. This way any new node will
automatically join a chat. Furthermore broadcast is by definition LAN
specific and Wifi connections should have no problem work with it.

Some ideas on the chat activity:

1) users should be able to choose a username.
2) username will be sent along with the hostname
3) a user can set a channel and only users on the same channel can
send/receive messages
4) the channel editbox could be type: hidden/password, so others cannot
just look on your screen to find it.
5) An elevated account (how can this be implemented?), can have access
to all channels and ban/mute a user.

> BTW, I marked your insterest in the chat there
> http://gcompris.net/wiki/Qt_Quick_Migration_status

Ok, I'll try to look into it.