[gcompris-devel] GCompris's future

Bastien bzg at laptop.org
Sun Feb 9 14:20:14 UTC 2014

Hi Bruno,

Bruno Coudoin <bruno.coudoin at gcompris.net> writes:

> Specifically for GCompris, we know that many parents and teachers are
> reluctant to leave the children on a web browser. Some schools,
> countries have poor Internet connections and are better served with a
> real application.

What about offline web applications?  The web as a platform is so
portable that it even runs with no Internet access :)

Sugar (OLPC) is used in many countries with poor Internet connection
and parents very careful about not letting their children alone with
an Internet connection -- still, efforts are made for porting Sugar
as a web platform.

First results are promising: http://llaske.github.io/Sugarizer/

At least for Sugar people, there are two reasons for spending time
on this: we hope to reach more potential developers, and this will
make it easier to "sugarize" more (web) apps.

For example, Gcompris could be online or offline as a group of web
activities *and* sugarized for OLPC deployments (and beyond.)

My 2 cents,

--
 Bastien