[gcompris-devel] gcompri version: compris 13.11-1 chess dies unexpectedly

Bill Bogstad bogstad at pobox.com
Mon Aug 18 15:22:01 UTC 2014

On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 5:53 AM, Bruno Coudoin
<bruno.coudoin at gcompris.net> wrote:

> I am not willing to fix this, it is too annoying to make a parser that
> can work with the different versions of GnuChess we may find on the
> different GNU/Linux distributions.

I'm wondering if it might be better to use an interface designed for
program<->program
communications rather then one designed for humans.   XChess for example can
talk to GNU Chess and apparently uses an interface intended for
programmatic use.   This page has a link to a Chess Engine
communications protocol document which might help:

http://www.tim-mann.org/engines.html

If there are in fact lots of chess "engines" out there that use this
protocol, it would make GCompris less dependent on GNU Chess as well.

Bill Bogstad