[gcompris-devel] gcompri version: compris 13.11-1 chess dies unexpectedly

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at gcompris.net
Mon Aug 18 09:53:33 UTC 2014

Le 17/08/2014 00:52, Robert Lewis a écrit :
> gnuchess 6.1.1-1 is installed on both a 32 bit and 64 bit machine along
> with Gcompri 13.11-1
>
> However, when I try to click on the Chess options in Gcompri I get:
>
> Error: The external program gnuchess dies unexpectedly.
>
> However, gnuchess does run on its own.  This is on Ubuntu 14.04 both 32 and
> 64 bit machines.

To fully explain the situation,  the way we use GnuChess (console
parsing) makes it hard to keep up with their changes. To overcome this
situation I did froze a version of GnuChess within GCompris source code
and this is the version that we support. Once installed it is named
something like gcompris-gnuchess.

Sadly, Debian does not like us to provide another version of GnuChess
and disabled the generation of gcompris-gnuchess and thus we use the one
shipped by Debian and we crash.

I am not willing to fix this, it is too annoying to make a parser that
can work with the different versions of GnuChess we may find on the
different GNU/Linux distributions.

Sorry for the inconvenience.