[gcompris-devel] New activity to enrich the vocabulary

Fòram na Gàidhlig fios at foramnagaidhlig.net
Sun May 19 20:24:01 UTC 2013

>> My partner in crime has finished our first draft of the Gaelic
>> translation. We got some serious expansion on some of the strings, so we
>> hope that this will fit into the GUI.
>>
>> The biggest expansion is:
>>
>> hug	a' glacadh a chèile gu teann		933%	28 letters
>>

>> And the longest word:
>>
>> kneel	tha e a' cromadh air a ghlùinean	640%	32 letters
>>

>> Sorry, but for some of the pictures a 1-word translation just doesn't
>> work at all.
>>
> Hi,
>
> I don't know which string it is. Can you find out and test is this fit.
> If it does not, it is generaly easy to change a little bit the user
> interface. I'll be glad to get a patch.

hug.ogg:hug
kneel.ogg:kneel

I expect they would be in the people category, which shows up blank for
me. I'll have to see about mocking up a file to test, if you don't get
around to it first.

>> As long as we keep this new activity in a separate file, the PO format
>> will work just as well and be more comfortable for localizers.
>> Translators actually need to look at the pictures with the original text
>> on the abecedarium site rather than listen to the sound files. We only
>> used the sound files to list which entries to translate.
>>
> No I don't think the po file works here. It is not about finding a name
> for an image but also selecting the same text as the voice.

msgstr "hug.ogg:hug"

Would work just fine as an identifiable source string IMO.

Having a lang file for this might be OK if you do the translation once,
but for futore changes and maintenance, why not use all the convenient
functions that gettext offer? In my experience, managing changes in lang
files is more extra work. Also, we have three projects using the
translations (art4apps, abecedarium and gcompris), so if all three used
the gettext format, exchanging data would become a lot easier.