[gcompris-devel] Calling all translator/localizers

Fòram na Gàidhlig fios at foramnagaidhlig.net
Sat May 18 13:39:35 UTC 2013

Dear fellow localizers,

I have taken a little stint in programming these last few weeks and I
have done/am planning some significant changes that will affect all
translations.

==============================
Plans to split the translation
==============================

First of all, please all grab a current backup of your PO-files. I have
started fiddling with some gettext stuff, so the translations for some
strings will probably be lost. If you load your current PO files into
Virtaal or Poedit, the translation memory will then help you to get your
strings back pretty fast. I'll keep backup copies of what I've got in
any case, should you need help.

What I am planning is to split the translation into several po files to
make things easier to find; and I'll probably implement some small
tweaks on the way. I especially want to split the general GUI strings
from the strings used in the games, and also to split off the
translation of the admin interface.

==================
Multigraph support
==================

What I have already implemented in the last weeks is multigraph support,
which is important to teach the alphabet in some languages. Bruno is
still integrating my code, so it's not available for all affected
activities yet. I have fully documented everything you need to know (I
hope) in the Wiki:

http://gcompris.net/wiki/Category:Translation

Please pay special attention to the "Translation addons" page and the
new capabilities of the Word Lists.

=========================
Fontset for your language
=========================

I have removed the font definitions from the skins and moved them into
separate fontset folders. Localizers can then define in the PO file
which fontset they wish to use. So, users can still select their own
skin, but the fontset will be chosen by the localizer. If no font is
specified in the translation, the "sans" system font will be used
(status quo).

Again, Bruno still needs to integrate this, and I haven't done the Wiki
documentation yet. The fontsets I have prepared so far are "sans", which
corresponds to the status quo, and "ruluko", which I recommend for
Western Latin languages. Ruluko looks a bit similar to the commercial
Sassonn fonts which our local school prefers.

We still need fontsets for other languages, so if you can supply a good
font for your language with a license tha's compatible with the GPL,
please contact me.

That's all she wrote for now!

Cheers

GunChleoc