[gcompris-devel] GCompris clone on iOS (Apple iPhone / iPad)

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at gcompris.net
Tue Feb 26 21:33:03 UTC 2013

Le 08. 02. 13 16:59, Frederico Goncalves Guimaraes a écrit :
> I finally put my hands on an iPad (from a friend), installed and
> tested Yellow Duck. The iTunes page for it is here:
> https://itunes.apple.com/th/app/yellow-duck-educational-software/id592411421?mt=8
> First, licensing. As you can see on the page, there isn't any
> information of Yellow Duck license. There is only this paragraph on
> licensed under GPLv3. In accordance with GPLv3, the source code is
> available upon request." It's ambiguous: what is licensed under GPLv3?
> GCompris? Yellow Duck? Both? (I know GCompris is under GPLv3, but it's
> not clear for other people).

Hi,

Their application is under GPL, they offer to provide you the code is
you ask them. I got it from them.

> Second, interface. Initial screen (and main menu) is very simple and
> only shows a texturized background with icons to the activities groups
> (instead of a lateral menu as on GCompris. Help is simplified too. It
> only show the "Objective" tab, with a tiny letter, very unconfortable
> to read. And there is only one setup option: to toggle music. No logo,
> no credits, no about. Thirdly, activities. They have "Discovery" and
> "Reading" activities, but not all of them. And only twelve are active
> on free version. Fourthly, languages. Only English. And, for the
> accent, from UK. :-) My conclusion is that they need to work a lot
> more to make it attractive. It looks like an unfinished work (more
> like a beta). And I don't think it's ready for App Store as it is. It
> was a wise decision not let them call this GCompris, Bruno.

Thanks for your feedback. I think it is fair to give them time to make
their version as polished as GCompris is today. I just remember that in
the early days GCompris was rather buggy and uggly. It takes time to
make good software.

> It's written, but you have to open the complete description of the
> software to see this. But I don't think people would try GCompris
> after play with it. There is only one comment on App Store about the
> software and it's title is "Horrible horrible horrible!!!!!!!!", with
> this text: "This is the worst children's game I've ever purchased. It
> is not kid friendly and does not work properly. I would like a refund
> for this app since it does not work!" Really not good propaganda for
> GCompris. :-( Best regards, Frederico

Hum, it is true that when you sell an application, buyers expect a good
quality level. I took GCompris several years before we get to a point
that the application could reach a commercial level even if I had not
this in mind at first.

Will see if they have enough  patience to complete their project.