[gcompris-devel] bug report about no text only voices

shirish शिरीष shirishag75 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 17 21:54:37 UTC 2013

at bottom :-

On 8/18/13, Philip Morris <phil at northquayit.com> wrote:
> Hi Shirish,
>
> Is it the English voice that you have an issue with as I am happy to amend
> that particular one (and any others) as required.
>

> With Kind Regards
>
> Phil Morris
> phone: 07797 962072
> url: www.northquayit.com

Dear Philip,
Thank you for the quick response. It's not the English voice that is
the problem, for me it is there is no alternative to know what is to
be done (in case you do not have speakers) unless you dig through the
manual. That seems to be a bit convoluted. What would be nice to have
the set of instructions before starting the game. I don't really care
if it follows the voice-over or not but having nice readable
instructions before the game/activity starts up would make it easier
to understand what the game/activity is about.

The simplest analogy I can come up with is the ability to use a
GNU/Linux desktop with mouse and keyboard. Having it being able to be
used with keyboard makes it accessible to people who have no mouse.
Similarly with people who don't have speakers to people (including
children) who have hearing issues. Today they have to jump couple of
hoops to people who are able to hear.

On the audio side of the things, the way I see it, from what I could
hear it seemed heavily Americianized (if that's a word I could use).
There is something called Indian English which while feeling a bit
strange to people who speak American or British English, people from
India  would more at home with an Indian English version (of audio).

Of the two, the former or first should be much more easy/easier to
work with and get better results than the latter. Also maintaining
text should be more easier and space-efficient as well. Anybody from
the community is free to implement both the solutions but I would urge
to do the former (which has greater benefit and payout for everybody
in the sense all hearing impaired people are first-class citizens in
the game) while the second would only be advantageous to probably the
East Asian sub-continent English listeners only ( a significant number
in itself but can't compare with number of people with hearing issues
etc. )

I hope I was able to bring a bit more clarity to the issue at hand.

Till l8er.
--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल