[gcompris-devel] bug report about no text only voices

shirish शिरीष shirishag75 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 17 19:32:49 UTC 2013

Hi all,
I tried to see if there is a bug-tracker in gcompris but unfortunately
seems the developer (Brian) does not use a bug-tracker, or if there is
a bug tracker please point the same to me.

First of all thank you for making a great application. I enjoy it
immensely and do show it to young people whenever I visit some
schools.

However, there are few issues and niggles which perhaps need more
attention. Before going further, this is my gcompris config and things
(generated via reportbug)

-- System Information:
Debian Release: jessie/sid
  APT prefers testing
  APT policy: (600, 'testing'), (1, 'experimental'), (1, 'unstable')
Architecture: amd64 (x86_64)

Kernel: Linux 3.10-2-amd64 (SMP w/2 CPU cores)
Locale: LANG=en_IN, LC_CTYPE=en_IN (charmap=UTF-8)
Shell: /bin/sh linked to /bin/dash

Versions of packages gcompris depends on:
ii  gcompris-data                                         12.11-1
ii  gstreamer0.10-alsa [gstreamer0.10-audiosink]          0.10.36-1.1
ii  gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad [gstreamer0.10-audiosink]   0.10.23-7.1
ii  gstreamer0.10-plugins-base                            0.10.36-1.1
ii  gstreamer0.10-plugins-good [gstreamer0.10-audiosink]  0.10.31-3+nmu1
ii  gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio [gstreamer0.10-audiosink]    0.10.31-3+nmu1
ii  libatk1.0-0                                           2.8.0-2
ii  libc6                                                 2.17-92
ii  libcairo2                                             1.12.14-4
ii  libfontconfig1                                        2.10.2-2
ii  libfreetype6                                          2.4.9-1.1
ii  libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0                                    2.28.2-1
ii  libglib2.0-0                                          2.36.3-3
ii  libgstreamer0.10-0                                    0.10.36-1.2
ii  libgtk2.0-0                                           2.24.20-1
ii  libpango-1.0-0                                        1.32.5-5+b1
ii  libpangocairo-1.0-0                                   1.32.5-5+b1
ii  libpangoft2-1.0-0                                     1.32.5-5+b1
ii  libpython2.7                                          2.7.5-5
ii  librsvg2-2                                            2.36.4-2
ii  librsvg2-common                                       2.36.4-2
ii  libsqlite3-0                                          3.7.17-1
ii  libx11-6                                              2:1.6.0-1
ii  libxml2                                               2.9.1+dfsg1-3
ii  python-cairo                                          1.8.8-1+b2
ii  python-gtk2                                           2.24.0-3+b1
ii  python-pysqlite2                                      2.6.3-3

gcompris recommends no packages.

Versions of packages gcompris suggests:
ii  gnucap    1:0.36~20091207-2
ii  gnuchess  6.0.3-1
pn  tuxpaint  <none>

-- no debconf information

Now the thing/issue is for various activities the text help is either
limited or out-dated. I haven't gone through all the 136 activities to
see if it's the same but a random sampling of some activities tells
the story.

a. For e.g. 'Building the same model' which is one of the activities
in the Puzzles section gives a one single line of help (by clicking
the question mark) which talks of the pre-requisite required :-

pre-requisite :- Mouse Manipulation
Goal :- Motor Coordination
Manual :- Move the items in the bottom left frame to copy their
position in the top right model. Below the crane itself, you will find
four arrows that let you move items. To select the item to move, just
click on it. If you prefer, you can use the arrow keys and the space
or tab key instead.

It's only in the manual that you get what you need to do and I would
not contend is not easily discoverable. There is a voice-over which
tells what is to be done but due to the accent and maybe modulation
and other things, the goal is not easily understood. What would be
nice and better is if there were on-screen instructions or
close-captioned text or something which followed the voice. I'm
guessing this would be one of the more often-asked feature.

There is also the use-case where in school you do not have speakers
(and have been to many schools where there are no speakers i.e. no
music) . In such a scenario you are left clueless unless you take the
time to read the manual.

If need be I could name probably a dozen or so activities which I use
which have the same issue (or maybe more).

b. This is more of a wishlist bug, it would be great to have map based
geography and names puzzles. Something like these :-

http://www.sheppardsoftware.com/states_experiment_drag-drop_Intermed_State15s_500.html

While this is obviously geared for the American market and geography,
maybe something with the world would be nice, if such a game exists in
Gcompris 137 activities please guide me where to find it ?

c. Which brings me to the third point, at 137 activities it becomes
next to impossible to find things on many levels . For e.g. :-

a. Which activities are new activities which were not there in the
previous version ? There should be some visual indicator which tells
and attracts players to the newest activities. If there is such a way
please guide/share how it's indicated to a user. I looked at the raw
changelog to get some ideas of the new activities but this cannot be
assumed for regular people/joe. The only thing to know there are new
activities was by looking at the debian bug-report which I just took
as a chance in the Debian changelog #694103 . I would propose to have
a #NEWS.gz at the very least for people to know what those 13 new
activities (or whatever new activities arrive in version 13.0 and
above .

I hope this could be added to some TODO or some roadmap. If there is a
TODO or a tentative roadmap . If such a thing exists please point out
at the resource. I did look at the wiki but wasn't able to find the
same.

b. Keywords, tags :- I don't know if there is a way to do that but
would be nice. If the games could be defined by some keywords it would
be more discoverable. As number of activities increase this would
become more and more urgent.

If I'm not able to make any sense (because of my poor English skills
or something) please get back to me and I'll try to be more precise.

Till l8er.
--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल