[gcompris-devel] testers needed for new music activities in GCompris

Beth Hadley bethmhadley at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 21:06:14 UTC 2012

Hi Peter,

Your concern about note_names.py is understood. My note_names activity
does indeed depend on note_names.py I do not know why Bruno wrote that
this module is not used. However
https://github.com/bdoin/GCompris/blob/master/src/note_names-activity/note_names.py
does appear to have the correct note_names activity. I'm not sure why
your github repo didn't grab this file....It was apparently added 10
days ago.

Perhaps it would be best to try to resolve this issue via irc with
Bruno and/or myself. I'm crazy busy with the first week of classes,
but I'll do my best. Good luck!
~Beth

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 4:38 PM, Peter Albrecht <pa-dev at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> On 29.08.2012 01:15, Bruno Coudoin wrote:
> > Le mardi 28 août 2012 à 21:51 +0200, Peter Albrecht a écrit :
> >> On 28.08.2012 02:21, Bruno Coudoin wrote:
> > I am always taking care not to take unneeded space. I see no problem to
> > create a bigger GCompris but I don't like wasting space.
>
> Saving space is a good attitude! :)
> (less harddisk space, less download time, less data traffic,
> smaller backups, smaller git repos, ...)
>

> >> But this comparison also showed, that
> >> "./python/note_names.py" is missing in "beth2.tgz". Was this
> >> intended?
> >
> > This is intented, this file was not used.
>
> There is something, I don't understand:
>
> Starting gcompris, I can see an acitivity called "Name that
> Note!".
>
> On my fresh compilated gcompris installation
> (at git commit 76cf56be9796ba41341eeebde1abc940da021771, Wed
> Sep 5 2012):
>
>  # cd /usr/local
>  # grep -nHr "Name that" .
>
> tells me, that this text is only found in
> > ./share/gcompris/boards/note_names.xml:12:        <title>Name that Note!</title>
>
> Looking at this note_names.xml, I can see:
> > <Board ... type="python:note_names" ...
>
> According to
> > http://gcompris.net/wiki/Adding_an_activity#Menu_creation
> I would guess that there should be some "note_names.py"
> around, containing the code for this activity.
>
> But
>  # cd /usr/local
>  # find -iname "*note_names*"
> won't find such a file.
>
> Where is my error in reasoning?
>

> BTW: Trying to start this activity on my self compiled
> installation does not work. On console output, I can read
> > ImportError: No module named note_names
>

> Regards,
>         Peter Albrecht

Beth Hadley