[gcompris-devel] testers needed for new music activities in GCompris

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at gcompris.net
Tue Aug 28 23:15:01 UTC 2012

Le mardi 28 août 2012 à 21:51 +0200, Peter Albrecht a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> On 28.08.2012 02:21, Bruno Coudoin wrote:
> > I just create a new bundle to test it:
> > http://gcompris.net/incoming/beth2.tgz
>
> The new zip file "beth2.tgz" has a size of 14 MByte, while
> the old one "beth_hadley_music_activities.tar.gz" has a size
> of 30 MByte.
> Comparing both file lists, showed, that there are some
> "*-old.wav" file missing. This would explain the dramatic
> size reduction. (I write this just for the case, anyone else
> is curious about this, too.)

I am always taking care not to take unneeded space. I see no problem to
create a bigger GCompris but I don't like wasting space. Even if disk is
cheap nowadays, we run on a large set of devices which may be space
constrained.

To save space, I re-encoded ogg file to a lower bit rate and
re-encoded .png files in jpg when possible.

> But this comparison also showed, that
> "./python/note_names.py" is missing in "beth2.tgz". Was this
> intended?

This is intented, this file was not used.

> Putting the new "beth tgz" over the old "beth-installation"
> will fix this, I guess. ;)

This is not needed, my bundle should be fine by itself.

> > This has been deeply reworked, please retest.
>
> "Explore Farm Animals" : "Level 1" does not show any
> Questions at all. Is this the new intended behaviour?
> Same for "Explore World Music".

Yes, this is the explore concept. The children explore the worls and
then question are asked at level 2 and 3.

> Another tiny bug: The "world" bonus in "Explore World Music"
> has transparent eyes. This looks strange.

I don't see this but anyways Beth will change this to use the core bonus
feature instead of having a specific one here.

> ** Name that Note! **
>
> Minor Bug:
> The Z-Order for the bonus is wrong. The bonus note is
> beneath the letter A, G, ...

Hum, I hear that she is working on that one.

> > We tried to address this by making the buttons context sensitive, the
> > erase appears only if there is something to erase.
>
> This fix is not in the most recent beth2.tgz, is it?
> The rubber is always visible.

True, it is not fixed yet on this one.

> GCompris froze at Level 11, playing the rythm " 1 + 1 + ".
> The scrolling vertical line is between "note 1" and "+".
> CPU usage is at almost 0%. So, no "running wild" endless loop.
> But GCompris does not make any sound nor does it react on
> any mouse clicks. It is also not impressed, by typing CTRL+C
> in the console window, from which I started GCompris.
> Typing "kill <process id>" in another console made GCompris
> disappear. But it wrote "Beendet" (German for "terminated")
> to STDOUT. So some higher level GCompris thread seemed to
> having been alive. ;)

Strange. Could not reproduce here.