[gcompris-devel] testers needed for new music activities in GCompris

Peter Albrecht pa-dev at gmx.de
Tue Aug 28 19:51:34 UTC 2012

Hi,

On 28.08.2012 02:21, Bruno Coudoin wrote:
> I just create a new bundle to test it:
> http://gcompris.net/incoming/beth2.tgz

The new zip file "beth2.tgz" has a size of 14 MByte, while
the old one "beth_hadley_music_activities.tar.gz" has a size
of 30 MByte.
Comparing both file lists, showed, that there are some
"*-old.wav" file missing. This would explain the dramatic
size reduction. (I write this just for the case, anyone else
is curious about this, too.)

But this comparison also showed, that
"./python/note_names.py" is missing in "beth2.tgz". Was this
intended?

Putting the new "beth tgz" over the old "beth-installation"
will fix this, I guess. ;)

>>> ** Explore Farm Animals / Explore World Music **
>
> This has been deeply reworked, please retest.

"Explore Farm Animals" : "Level 1" does not show any
Questions at all. Is this the new intended behaviour?
Same for "Explore World Music".

Another tiny bug: The "world" bonus in "Explore World Music"
has transparent eyes. This looks strange.

** Name that Note! **

Minor Bug:
The Z-Order for the bonus is wrong. The bonus note is
beneath the letter A, G, ...

>>> ** Play Piano! **
>>>
>>> 1) "Attempt" is not visible:
>>> The melody, the user plays on the piano, is recorded and the
>>> user can erase it, if she/he thinks, she/he was wrong. But
>>> this is somewhat invisible. The user has to imagine: "There
>>> is something recorded in the computers RAM"
>>> It would be easier to understand, if you would show the
>>> attempt, which was entered by the user, on the screen.
>>> Perhaps you print the current row of entered piano key
>>> letters next to the piano keys. E.g.: C C F G
>
> We tried to address this by making the buttons context sensitive, the
> erase appears only if there is something to erase.

This fix is not in the most recent beth2.tgz, is it?
The rubber is always visible.

>>> ** Play Rhythm! **

This acitivity was improved alot in the new version. Great!

>>> 1) BUG?: No auto level increase:
> This is fixed now.

Thanks! Works fine!

>>> 2) Quick appear of the scrolling vertical line:
>>> Using the scrolling vertical line, as suggested in the
>>> manual, is quite difficult. Since it abruptly appears at the
>>> first note. In this moment, the user has to play the drum,
>>> which requires very quick reaction. (Or am I too tired? ;)
>>> It would be way easier, if one could see the scrolling
>>> vertical bar, a little bit before it hits the first note.
>
> I agree and Beth made a fix for that.

The new method "Appearing at first drum beat" is way better!
Thanks!

>>> 3) BUG: "Play" button needs double click:
>>> If the user wants to hear the rythm again, she/he sometimes
>>> has to click on the play button twice.
>>> The first click stops the scrolling vertical line from
>>> starting a new "run over the notes". And the second click
>>> starts the replay. Whatever time I wait between two clicks.
>>> And after replaying the sound, the scrolling vertical line,
>>> does not come again. :(
>
> Beth fixed this as well.

Thanks for fixing!

GCompris froze at Level 11, playing the rythm " 1 + 1 + ".
The scrolling vertical line is between "note 1" and "+".
CPU usage is at almost 0%. So, no "running wild" endless loop.
But GCompris does not make any sound nor does it react on
any mouse clicks. It is also not impressed, by typing CTRL+C
in the console window, from which I started GCompris.
Typing "kill <process id>" in another console made GCompris
disappear. But it wrote "Beendet" (German for "terminated")
to STDOUT. So some higher level GCompris thread seemed to
having been alive. ;)

After that, I started GCompris again and switched directly
to level 11. This time the mentioned rythm was no problem.
I'll test a bit more in the next days and will report about
other freeze-issues, if they show up again.

Woo Hoo! I accomplished all twelve levels. This was fun! ;)

Thanks, for those activities to everyone envolved.

Regards,
	Peter