[gcompris-devel] bruno.coudoin at spamfree.net

Matilda Bernard serah4291 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 14 19:31:34 UTC 2011

Hi

I am a 3rd year student pursuing B.Tech from Punjab Technical University,
India. I was introduced to FOSS about six months back where I began using
Gnome and absolutely loved it. Since then it has been a total learning
experience. Gnome lets me customize things and is an amazing environment.The
Gnome applications I frequently use include Gedit, Cheese, Tomboy, etc. I
even started learning python (again, something I'm in love with) and worked
on a mini project (Python Ethernet - Serial Interface Bridge) using twitter
API, arduino and gmail API. The project helped me realize how fun hacking is
and how I want to continue in this field. I use git and host all my code on
Github. I blog at matildabernard.blogspot.com and also use IRC.

A friend informed me about this program and that is when I went through
live.gnome.org/GnomeWomen/OutreachProgram2011 and looked though the
organizations participating. I found GCompris a fun and innovative way for
kids to learn various basic concepts and at the same time enjoy it. I can
say that because I see my cousin hooked on to it now. Through this program I
would like to contribute to GCompris and become a part of Gnome community as
a contributer and continue the association.

I've joined the IRC channel and also went through the list of ideas and
would like to contribute in the reading/writing or maths section:

reading/writing section:
-letter common to several words
-text understanding
-text with holes
Here  I was wondering if we could add a grammar related activity where there
could be fill in the blanks and kids would have to choose the right article
or preposition.

maths section:
-basic concept of vedic maths - vedic maths is based on 16 principles and
these principles can be used for multiple maths tricks. A few basic and easy
tricks can be introduced in a fun manner which will help kids improve their
ability to solve maths problems faster.

As mentioned I'm really interested in participating in the outreach program
and would like to understand more about it and also know what steps I should
take to proceed formally.

Regards
Matilda Bernard

IRC nick - RedAdmiral