[gcompris-devel] [GSoc]Games + ReadingWriting

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at gcompris.net
Sat Mar 26 16:47:28 UTC 2011

Le mercredi 23 mars 2011 à 22:44 +0200, Alex Burghelea a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> My name is Alex and I'm interested in participating as a student at GSoC
> and work at Gcompris.
> I am a student at the Polytehnica University of Bucharest in my second year.
> And before i submit my application i want to discuss some ideas with
> you, to get some feedback.
> As seen from the subject i am interested in the Reading / Writing and
> Games category .

Hi,

Thanks for your interest in GCompris.

> At the games category i would like like to implement games like tick
> tack toe, and dominoes
> at the dominoes i think that i could combine it with the spelling and
> writing case association.

These are just ideas, you can come up with your own if you prefer.

These are interesting but it is a little bit too easy for a 3 months
projects. You must come with a consistent proposal and try to stick to
an educational theme so that it's easier to have a coherency in your
work.

> Another game i'd like to implement is Dots and Boxes
> (http://jocuri.clopotel.ro/Q7ij8IFL/Dots_and_Boxes/).

This is fun except the start of the game were it is annoying on a large
play board. We already have several activities like this and there are
many other that could be implemented as well. So far in the idea list
there are ideas an topics for which GCompris is very weak and I will
favour proposal in these areas.

> I think this game could have great potential in being integrated with
> the Reading/Writing Category

Hum, Dot and Boxes does not requires any reading / writing skills.

> I have a question .
> Do you look at the ideas presented on the ideas page as steps for a
> "lesson" or as individual categories?

I don't understand the question very well but I will clarify. In
GCompris we have a concept of activities. Each activities can have
several levels and sublevels. The children within an activity can at any
time change from one level to another. Each activity tries to be
narrowed to a given concept and to a given age range. Sometime, the same
activity code is tuned for several age range of several categories (like
with numbers or with letters). In this case, we create 2 activities from
the user perspective but it is the same code which is given a runtime
parameter like 'letter' or 'number', then the activity code does its
job.

When you run GCompris you can see all the activities are classified by
category, then for each one you can see the age range which is
represented by a number of stars.

To sum it up, we create activities and then organise them in GCompris by
categories and by level.

I hope I clarified your concern.