[gcompris-devel] Applying as a student for GSoC

Karthik S itskarthik.s at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 13:27:00 UTC 2011

Hi,

Yes there is goal for the activity.
The pentatonic scale as the name suggests consists of 5 notes per scale.
It is easy to grasp and more receptive than the heptatonic scale.
Thus it is easy for the Children to grasp it easily.

This activity is going to make the Children sing along.
It teaches by assigning one position to a particular note. (The position is
relative).
What I mean is. As a song consists of those 5 notes from different scales.
We are plotting each note on the screen (say with a ball or some attractive
shape) in sync with the song.
After practicing well they can move to the Sing Alone mode where only the
plotting happens but no song is played.

There is another level where between the Sing Along and Sing Alone mode
which makes the children predict the next note, by not playing the music for
a particular note but just plotting the position.
This is well proved to be an effective mind game, creative activity and also
a really effective way of practicing music.

This is a type of Orff based approach for music education (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orff_Schulwerk )

Could you please tell me what I could work on next?
Should i structure it even better? are there any formats?
Or shall i start working on a particular module.

Another question I have is, To be selected for GSoC is this a good enough
project or I should suggest more?

Thanks a lot for the opportunity,
I'd love to contribute for GNOME and specifically Gcompris :)

*Karthik Subramanian
SSN College of Engg.
+91 99401 38729
http://github.com/yeskarthik