[gcompris-devel] Text for voices

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at gcompris.net
Fri Feb 25 22:51:11 UTC 2011

Le jeudi 24 février 2011 à 18:04 +0200, F Wolff a écrit :
> Hallo everybody
>
> We just started working on the voices for Afrikaans, and it is quite a
> job!  We're excited about the idea to have the voices translated for the
> next release.

This is good news.

> We've been listening to the English, looking at the instructions used in
> the game, and comparing with the text on this page:
> http://gcompris.net/wiki/Voices_translation
>
> I'm not sure what we should be doing, since there seems to be big
> differences. There are also differences between existing languages, with
> different directories present. Are incomplete voice sets possible?
> Exactly how does that work?

You are right, it is very hard to maintain a coherency over time.  What
kind of difference do you find, maybe its time to make some cleanup.

Yes, it is not mandatory to have all the voices with some exceptions, if
you record the colors, the numbers of the alphabet, you must provide the
full set because the activity execution will be inconsistent and
unplayable. Other than that, GCompris plays what it find and don't
complain if a voice is not there.

> For the recorded introductions, are the text on the wiki page meant to
> be up to date? Some of them I find hard to understand, and I'm wondering
> if I can just record the translation of the instructions given in the
> game. I just encountered this one, for example:
>
> > You are responsible for the lock, you must help Tux pass the lock.
> > click on the small valves to cause a drop in or to increase the level
> > of water.
>
> What does "cause a drop in" mean?

Hum, I am not sure either if this is correct english.

I like Chester suggestion :"Click on the small valves to raise or lower,
the water level."

You can fix the wiki if you want and have a login on it.

> ... by the way... is the release still planned for Saturday? Just
> checking if we maybe have extra time :-)

Yes, nobody formally requested me a delay. Many translations have been
updated. I think I will make this release anyway rather soon than later
because there are many bugs being fixed in this release. It is sad to
continue to let people download a so huge software just to find out that
is is not playable because there is no cursor :/. Also I would like to
have it pushed in the next Ubuntu and not miss their deadlines.