[gcompris-devel] 9.6.1 notes: gcompris -a won't run (couldn't find the board menu)

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at gcompris.net
Tue Apr 12 21:19:10 UTC 2011

Le vendredi 08 avril 2011 à 23:58 +0300, Sini Ruohomaa a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I just downloaded and manually compiled Gcompris 9.6.1 to see if the
> memory games had stopped being white text on light blue background (they
> had, yay). But suddenly gcompris -a won't work. Error message is
> "Couldn't find the board menu, or plugin execution error." (It seems the
> new activities, at least details, are there.)

Hum, maybe a corruption of our activity database. It is located there:
~/.config/gcompris/gcompris_sqlite.db

You can rename it to save it (it contains all your customization),
restart GCompris and it will be rebuilt.

> Gcompris itself seems to be running fine, although multiple activities
> are missing (like tuxpaint and the

You need to install tuxpaint on your system.

> click-on-the-blue-dot-to-draw-a-picture). I'm on Ubuntu Maverick.

This one should be there, in the computer/mouse menu.

> I may be missing some non-critical -dev library (I was just installing
> them brainlessly one-by-one as long as ./configure errored out; I
> haven't really compiled software since the last cleanup).

On a Debian based system you can get them by running:
sudo apt-get build-dep gcompris

> Minor note: "click on the letter" game now works on the keyboard
> (coolness!) but the clicked letter "car" won't turn green like it does
> with the mouse.

You are right, a patch is welcome, for interested persons, the file to
look at is click_on_letter-activity/click_on_letter.c

> The "details" game is very interesting - it's one of those games that
> are fun to play together with a 2-year-old because it's educative for
> mom.

I will forward this to the Marc Levivier who proposed and implemented
it.

>  I think it could use some old-fashioned hand-drawn for this
> occasion "find the sofa", "find the lamp" etc. pictures as the easiest
> level; I wonder if it would be easy to introduce them if I could get
> someone to draw them?

To be sure that I understand correctly, there would be a sofa in the
icon list and a sofa on the drawing area and the children must put the
sofa on the sofa, that's it ? It is close to
the /discovery/miscelaneous/babyshapes activity but with the real object
as target.

> Btw: "details/Taj_Mahal3" is missing.

Oops, I made a patch for this.  If you want to fix it in your version,
just edit the file details/board2_6.xml and replace 'Taj Mahal' by
'TajMahal'.

> I'm starting to consider updating the Finnish translation if I can get
> it tested on this compileable thing, but if I can't get the configuring
> tool to work I'll have to see if I can somehow downgrade back to (or
> coexist with) the version in the Ubuntu repository.

You have to get in touch with the Finish Gnome translation team and
propose your help there.