[gcompris-devel] Bruno goes Brazil

julien forgeat julienforgeat at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 08:48:28 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 4:37 PM, Fionn Ziegler <fionnziegler at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 12:56 AM, Bruno Coudoin
> <bruno.coudoin at gcompris.net> wrote:
>> Le lundi 11 octobre 2010 à 15:27 +0200, Fionn Ziegler a écrit :
>>> Have a nice trip!!
>>> By the way: whats happened to the draw-chat-add-on? Did you receive
>>> it?
>>
>> Yes, I got it but did not checked yet. I am focussed on the wiktionary
>> to xml work. So far I have been able to get some results there:
>> http://gcompris.net/wiki/Wiktionary_to_XML
>>
>> Anyway, I will integrate your work before the next release.
>>
>>> Currently I am working on a small game in GCompris: A bad guy
>>> (something like a thief) is throwing trash from the top of the screen
>>> and the child must control a bin to catch the falling trash :-) Its
>>> quite funny. The child is training reaction, coordination (left/right)
>>> and throwing the trash into the bin (not in the street)!
>>
>> Hum, I am not a teacher but I feel the educational purpose is too small
>> for GCompris. This kind of training reaction is the basis of most games
>> and I don't see the value to have this in GCompris.
>>
>> Other advices ?
>
> I have been 1 year in a "third-world" country. I think it's a good way
> avoiding the children to throw the trash in the environment (the
> game-screen backgrounds are from the street, beach, river.......).
> Also had a lot handicapped children, they don't are able to play the
> "advanced" games. Even 1+1 is too much nor spell their own name. Maybe
> you can call it "environmental education"
>
> But if you really think it's not fitting, please tell me...

Living in China, I can also comment on the fact that properly taking
care of your trash is not something that comes as a reflex for
everybody but to be honest and fair, I can see quite some trash in the
streets in Europe too.
How about making the game a bit more advanced with several bins, one
for paper, one for glass and so on? Also, some trash could create more
damage than others (throwing away a watch battery is more serious than
throwing away a piece of paper) It would be interesting to teach young
kids that all trash are not equal and need to be sorted accordingly.

Cheers,

Julien