[gcompris-devel] [GCompris] Some Observations

Dwaipayan Deb u4439030 at anu.edu.au
Sun May 23 14:25:04 UTC 2010

Hi,

After playing GCompris and also going through it's website I made some observations. Hope they help.

1. On the homepage http://gcompris.net/, the language underneath India's flag is Tamil. However, India's national language is Hindi. I know that Hindi translation is not complete but in future when Hindi translation is completed, the language under the flag should be Hindi or both may be "Hindi / Tamil" with both having separate links.

2. There should be some kind of connectivity between the "Development" page (http://gcompris.net/-Development-) and "Developer's Corner" (http://gcompris.net/wiki/index.php?title=Developer's_corner). This will probably make all information for developers more centralised.

3. The Wiki home page should have a proper title, on GCompris's official website, rather than (http://gcompris.net/Documentation,105).

4. The website should probably have a FAQ section. This will provide easy access to general queries.

5. The Administration module has a help section. May be a link to the user manual (http://gcompris.net/wiki/index.php?title=Manual) will be handy.

6. In the activity "Move the mouse", sometimes it's difficult to manually change the level because the duster/wiper is the cursor. May be the cursor could change to a pointer when hovered on top of the icons on the bottom of the window.

7. In the activity "Connect 4", after the player wins a point against the computer, the refresh icon needs to be clicked to proceed (within the same level). However, there's no indication. A child might now know what to do next.

8. In the activity "tower of hanoi", there are 2 levels. After level 2 is successfully completed shouldn't the game move to the puzzles menu if further levels are not available. Also, probably there should be a message stating "congrats you have cleared all the level". It's just a suggestion from my observation.

9. GCompris is licensed under GPL v3. However, the credit section of the game says GPL. Shouldn't it reflect the version number as well? Please note that I'm not a legal expert by any stretch of imagination.

Hope these observations help in some way.

Cheers,
DD