[gcompris-devel] Gcompris 9.0 Feedback

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Sat Feb 6 17:24:18 UTC 2010

Hi Julien,

First you must join the mailing list before posting to it:

Le lundi 01 février 2010 à 20:29 +0000, Lerique Julien a écrit :
> Test of gcompris 9.0-oubuntu6 from ubuntu lucid repository on a ubuntu 9.04
> liveCD session:
> It is working nicely, graphics are good (I like the smaller toolbar as in
> the click on a letter activity). Great work.

Thanks.

> Bug:
> -Practise chess- 1st activity: after few (fast) moves application freezes,
> and I have to perform a manual kill (I can reproduce it, no error message
> displayed on the console).

The chess is a nightmare. At some point we should integrate one and no
more use this stdout communication with gnuchess. I committed a fix to
improve the parsing. Please check you can still reproduce this bug.

> Not really bugs...:
> -Sudoku: tutorial is misleading, shapes drag-and-drop does not work, you
> need to click.

Won't fix now because I don't want to change strings before we release
the Windows version.

> -Audio memory game: the mix of long and short sounds hurts the gameplay,
> from the player point of view, it takes a "random" time to check if 2 sounds
> fit,
> and you may want to click elsewhere before the check becomes effective.

This is true but it is hard to get free sample to make this game.
Perhaps there are more resources online with an acceptable licence for
us. Can someone make a search ?

> -Practise chess- 2nd activity: after a draw if we try a move, the indication
> "draw"
> changes to black's turn, but nothing will move anymore ...

That sounds normal that nothing more can be done on a drawn game.

> Personal opinion:
> -Regarding the current skin, the white (light grey) to black gradient : too
> much contrast for me. And does not look nice when the foreground text is
> yellow: for example the counter in the photo hunter activity or click on a
> letter.

I fixed this, the yellow text in the score is now white.

>  It looks less childish than version 8 themes' lively colors.

I agree but I don't have the original babytoy skin in SVG. I asked Frank
(the original author of the skins) some times ago about having a new one
but got nothing for now. I ask again in case but if there are artist out
there interested in the task, your welcome.

To make a new skin, just create a directory in boards/skins
and put in it the files skin.xml and skin.svg from the gartoon skin.

Then using inkscape edit skin.svg while respecting the location and
identification of the image items.

> -On the activity browser, the bottom information panel displaying activities
> names and sum-up looks like it lacks some formating ...maybe the align-left
> text makes it weird. I cannot tell precisely.

I agree, this if fixed.

> -Is it possible to have a --geometry option to switch between 800x512 and
> 800x600 resolutions ?

You can now resize GCompris's windows like any desktop application but
we keep our the native image ratio. Why do you need this ?

--
Bruno Coudoin
http://gcompris.net  Free educational software for kids