[gcompris-devel] Possibility of developing a module / plugin for Switch based access to Gcompris

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at gcompris.net
Thu Dec 30 00:40:32 UTC 2010

Le mardi 28 décembre 2010 à 06:10 +0000, Prashanth Kamath (Associate) a
écrit :
> Dear sir,
>

> Before I proceed any further, a quick background for everyone. I
> represent MindTree Foundation (an offshoot of MindTree Ltd.). We have
> a mandate / primary objective – to develop Affordable and Sustainable
> Assistive Technologies. We are already working on a handful of such
> projects – our team leaders would be glad to share details of our
> projects / plans – in future communications with you people. I’d like
> to mention just a couple of projects here. First ,we have ADITI (a
> Touch-less Switch – which is due for launch in the first half of
> 2011). Second, we have KAVI (an  AAC device – that is still under
> development). Now both these devices are positioned as AT Devices –
> but KAVI might also be placed as an alternative Educational Aid.
>

> A background on Gcompris, I think, is equally important. I’ve been
> with Linux for over 10 years now. I can say – I have seen Gcompris
> grow over the years . Gcompris is a full suite of Educational
> programs. Now, it has over a  100 different learning activities -
> mostly targeted at Preschool / school going kids. It is an open source
> project – this should make it more suitable for our needs. Although
> I’m not a kid – I’ve always had Gcompris installed on my Linux box (it
> just takes you back to the good old days of childhood). Putting KAVI
> into perspective – I think Gcompris would make an excellent addition
> to our software bundle.
>

> Now I’ll came to the point. Gcompris has an interface – which allows
> the user to interact with the help of a keyboard or a mouse. I think,
> there is a need to develop a module / plugin for Switch based access
> to Gcompris. I wonder why developers have so far not looked at this
> aspect.

Hi,

Thanks for your interest in GCompris.

When I started this project 10 years ago, there was not so many concern
ab about Assistive Technology. Sadly software solution came in but we
never took the time to focus on this aspect. For example, we should be
able to navigate in the GCompris menu only with the keyboard and
activities should be marked whether they need a pointer and/or a
keyboard to play. That's what I have in mind but there are probably more
things to do.

>  Anyway, as they say, there is a right time for everything. I think we
> need to take up development of this module as soon as possible. This
> would not only make the software  more accessible for the differently
> abled – but it could also help us to package the Gcompris suite along
> with both ADITI as well as KAVI. And, according to me, this module can
> be developed very easily – doesn’t need much of an effort. If we are
> able to do this – it would surely open up some interesting
> possibilities. I think this is an opportunity we cannot afford to
> miss……

It seems like you already looked at the code and have an idea to
implement this. I could not get much information about your solutions.
What do you have in mind, how is this supposed to be interfaced ?

> I think this email will initiate a productive and purposeful dialogue
> between us. It would be nice to see some concrete follow up action. I
> leave that part to the senior members of our team. Please do get back
> to us with your thoughts and comments. Until next time,

Also and important aspect to mention is the licence. As you have
probably noticed, GCompris is released under the GPL Licence so any
libraries we link with must be compatible with this. Please double check
with your legal department if you are not sure.

Regards,

--
Bruno Coudoin
http://gcompris.net  Free educational software for kids