[gcompris-devel] physics engine in gcompris

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at gcompris.net
Thu Dec 30 00:26:28 UTC 2010

Le lundi 27 décembre 2010 à 16:59 +0100, Fionn Ziegler a écrit :
> Hey guys,
> I came about the ODE library and played a little bit around. Maybe
> you've some cool "educational" idea when watching the demo video here:
> http://allboutit.wordpress.com/2010/12/27/2d-physics-goocanvas-with-open-dynamics-engine-ode-using-python-wrappers/
>
> Let me know your thoughts, I think there could be some nice features
> for GCompris especially in the physics (newton, Gravity .... ) area.
> Also with logical methods, where objects are connected to each
> other....

Hi,

This is excellent and yes it can be a good base for a new set of
activities. I am always afraid to add more dependencies because we have
to make them work on the different platform we support and this may be
complex.

So if you or someone come up with one or more activities that relies on
ODE, bring something that could not be done easily and efficiently
without it, then I am OK to make the effort to support ODE.

For now, I am curious, could you provide me the code you made for this
demonstration, how hard is it to code with ODE in GCompris ?