[gcompris-devel] Some bugs in gcompris.net website

littlebat dashing.meng at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 02:48:03 UTC 2010

> > 3, It seems URL Rewrite rules stoped working in GCompris Wiki. For example,
> > in page " http://gcompris.net/Translator-howto ", the link "
> > http://gcompris.net/wiki/index.php/Developer's_corner " can't work.
>
> Thanks to the spip community I understood that simply the link was
> wrong.
> http://gcompris.net/wiki/index.php?title=Developer%27s_corner

I have a different opinion on this issue. We should keep the URL structure stable, Or, the old URLs spreaded over the world will not available after you changed your URL structure.

If you decide don't change the URL structure of GCompris wiki back to before (the URL style like: http://gcompris.net/wiki/index.php/Developer's_corner ), suggest you redirect the old URLs to the new URLs with 301 permanent redirection. So the old URLs in the world will still be available.

Below is an example .htaccess file for reference:

####Code begin####
RewriteEngine On

RewriteBase /

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d

RewriteRule ^index\.php/(.*)$ http://gcompris\.net/wiki/index\.php?title=$1 [R=301]
####Code end####

I put this .htaccess file into my site subdirectory "test". You can test its effect with URL in my site: http://www.learndiary.com/test/index.php/Developer's_corner

However, I still think you should change your GCompris Wiki URL structure into before (like:  http://gcompris.net/wiki/index.php/Developer's_corner ).

See the MediaWiki offical site manual page: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Short_URL . It seems the old URL structure of GCompirs Wiki didn't use a URL Rewrite rule, just a default page addresses unless using CGI ( http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Short_URL#Defaults ). And, even Wikipedia.org is using a customized URL structure like this ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/URL_rewriting ).

Just a reference.

Good luck.

--
littlebat <dashing.meng at gmail.com>