[gcompris-devel] Ideas to improve Gcompris

Sérgio Durigan Júnior sergiosdj at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 07:09:14 UTC 2009

Hello Bruno,

On Thursday 17 September 2009, Bruno Coudoin wrote:
> Le mercredi 16 septembre 2009 à 20:48 -0300, Sérgio Durigan Júnior a
>
> écrit :
> > Hello,
> >
> > First, I would like to introduce myself.  I am a student at a
> > Brazilian University (Unicamp), attending a graduation course entitled
> > "Communitary Informatics".  Me and other 2 fellows are interested in
> > contributing to Gcompris.  After some discussion about what would be a
> > good thing to do in three months of work (it's kind of a minimal
> > "Summer of Code"), we came up with basically three ideas:
>
> Hi,
>
> Welcome in the little GCompris community.

Thank you very much.  It is good to know that you guys answer e-mails so
quickly!  :-)

> > 1) Implement (or improve, if it already exists) support in the program
> > in order to be better used by colorblind people.  It would take some
> > time to research and decide how to do it, but we think it's feasible.
>
> Yes please do. On the same topic a high contrast version for people
> having a very poor sight could be a godd option as well.

That sounds like a good idea.  I will discuss about that with my group to see
what they think about it.

> > 2) Implement other games.  This is the most "superficial" idea (for
> > now), we would have to discuss and see what kind of new games we'd
> > implement.
>
> We have a page on our wiki that we use to report missing or requested
> activities. Hum, I have no web access by now, updating my Ubuntu, I
> can't provide you the link.

No problem, I believe we can find it ourselves :-).  I was also looking into
the project's bugzilla to see if there is something to help.

> Also please note that all new development must be done on the
> gcomprixogoo branch which will be the next major version numbered 8.5.
> You will also find on the wiki how to grab this branch.

Right, thanks for the tip.

> > 3) Integrate Gcompris with Greenfoot (http://www.greenfoot.org/),
> > enabling the users to run the games (see http://greenfootgallery.org/
> > for example) written in this environment.  At first, we don't think
> > that it would be necessary to integrate Greenfoot's API with Gcompris,
> > since (we believe) most of the kids using Gcompris wouldn't know how
> > to create the games.  We are also studying Greenfoot to see if this
> > option is really feasible, so there's a chance that we discard this
> > idea later.
>
> Hum, I don't see how the Java world and the GCompris world could
> positively be aranged to benefit from each other.

To be completely honest with you, neither do I.  I only asked you this
question because our teacher wanted us to take a look into Greenfoot and see
if we could do something using that.  I am not a big fan of Java (far away
from that...), but I decided to take my chances and see what the community
felt about this integration.  Anyway, now that I know that you dislike this
idea, I am going to put my efforts into the other two ideas (and tell the
teacher that unfortunately this integration is not going to happen).

> > Anyway, given the options above, we would like to know from Gcompris
> > community:  what did you like?  Of course, new ideas (or variations of
> > the ideas listed above) are very much welcome :-).
>
> We are please to see you there. Based on my feedback, let us know what
> your plans are and don't hesitate to ask questions here.

Thank you again, Bruno.  As I said, I will have a little meeting with my group
to see their opinions.  As soon as we decide how to proceed, I will certainly
let you know.

Regards,

Sérgio.