[gcompris-devel] reproducible freeze of 8.4.4-1.1ubuntu1 on ubuntu

Emmanuel Touzery emmanuel.touzery at free.fr
Tue Mar 10 07:11:15 UTC 2009

Hello,

    gcompris freezes reproducibly for me on ubuntu; this is the stock
gcompris from the ubuntu packages, ubuntu 8.10.

    I've opened an ubuntu bug with a lot of details:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gcompris/+bug/339996

    To repeat them here:

In ubuntu 8.10 the game "computer/mouse/erase" freezes for me.
I'm using compiz, gcompris in full screen 800x600.

Playing this game it freezes relatively often: the GUI turns gray
(probably the compiz action for inactive windows). The mouse is still
colored and still moves. X is still responding (cube switching and all).
I can switch to text terminal (ctrl alt f1) and killall gcompris and all
is OK (except i'm in 800x600).

I configured it to have french audio and text.

Running it from command line I see this line in the text output but I'm
not sure whether it's related to the problem:

(gcompris:12941): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_thread_join: assertion `thread' failed

also sound stops working when it freezes.

I ran gcompris in command-line with "-D" (debug). I'm attaching the end
of the log (i didn't redirect the output and the gnome terminal only
displays the latest lines).

maybe it's connected with pulseaudio... who knows.

I made a run without sound.

gcompris -m
 -m, --mute run GCompris without sound.

No freeze when I run it without sound. I can reach level 3 of that game
while with sound it's impossible, it always freezes before that.

So it's related to the sound

pasuspender gcompris
=> freezes still

killlall pulseaudio; gcompris
=> micro-freezes all the time: the application is very annoying to use,
very often "pauses" but then recovers. In the end, freezes anyway

So the only workaround that I have for now is running without sound.

    Any idea? You can find this debug log that I'm talking about in the
ubuntu bug:
http://launchpadlibrarian.net/23660844/gcompris-log.txt

    Otherwise I'm quite impressed by the activities possible through
gcompris. I didn't expect my almost 4 year old daughter would get a hang
of it so quickly!

emmanuel