[gcompris-devel] GCompris, reliability, usability

Miguel Carromeu miguelcarromeu at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 13:19:11 UTC 2009

Hi
*

> * Our creations are no more considered has a hobbyist toy unable to
> compete on a large scale.*

> I didn't say they were Bruno. Maybe I didn't express properly. I give you
> and all the developers of GCompris all credit for developing such great
> tool.
>

> *Yes, GCompris has been reviewed and reviewed all over the years. We
> started this project in 2000 and it is used in many classrooms all over
> the world. But as our development model is incremental, you won't see a
> research paper covering the whole GCompris. Instead, we have adapted our
> activities, one by one based on feedback we got from teachers.
> Sometimes, teachers even sent us code modification directly.*

How then, could I have access to those results in order to choose what
activitie to use? I need to evaluate the application I'll be using with
students, but to do so, I need certified and validated checklists or some
other sort of tool.

Please be aware that my intention is not to bring down GCompris - on the
contrary: I believe in the future use of this type of software bundles and
my intent is to further develop my studies, bringing down GCompris entire
bundle to an eyescope, in a future Ph.d. investigation.

> *Another important point, we do not try to mimic the educational process
> of a specific country. We just provide activities that teachers can use
> to enhance or complete a training, it is never a training by itself.
>
> I personally believe that the teacher stays at the heart of the teaching
> process. Our software is just another way to help them in their task.
> Books does not replace teachers, there is no reason why software should.*

Again, couldn't agree more with you. My aim, as teacher, is exactly to
explain the use of educational software in the classroom, enhancing it's
qualities, but never as a teachers' replacement. Besides, that "ghost" has
long gone.

My best regards and excuses in case I didn't explain myself in the adequate
way firstly.