[gcompris-devel] Gcompris admin module startup problem

bruno bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Thu Mar 5 07:48:10 UTC 2009

Le mercredi 04 mars 2009 à 20:03 -0500, REY DECASTRO a écrit :
> Two questions:
>
> 1) I get an error when trying to start the Gcompris administration
> module in openSUSE 11.1:
>
>             def __create_model(self, with, profile_id):
>                                         ^
>         SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>
> The error is Greek to me.  Any clues on what I'm doing wrong?

You are doing nothing wrong, we have a bug there related to changes in
python 2.6 ('with' is now a keyword). We have fixed it in trunk and the
new release will be out this week end.

In the mean time, could you please report a bug in openSUSE bug tracker
to let them know of the issue. Let them know that the commit in trunk
that fixes this is r3749.

If you want to go fast, you can find and edit these files on your
system: group_edit.py profile_edit.py and class_edit.py
In these files, replace the occurrence 'with' by '_with'.

> 2) What is the Ubuntu repository containg the Gcompris administrative
> module?  My recollection from other installs of GCompris is that there
> is a package named "gcompris-admin" or something like that, and I
> cannot seem to find a listing in the Ubuntu repositories that I know
> of.  Or is my memory faulty and you just start up the admin module
> with "gcompris --admin"?

There is usually no package for the admin or maybe they just put a menu
entry in it.

This is often confusing but the administration module is just a special
activity in GCompris. It is shipped by default like the other activities
and is accessed by running 'gcompris -a' or 'gcompris --administration'

> Many thanks for the help and for a wonderful software application.  I
> refer to it as the Flagship of Educational Software, which is an
> iindication of its stability, useability, utility, and the hard work
> of your community.

Thanks a lot for the team who made this possible.

What you could to to help us is to let our web visitors know how
GCompris is useful to you:
In english: http://gcompris.net/-Schools-using-it-
If you are not native english and if we have your language translated on
our web site, navigate to the article 'School using it' from the main
page in your language section http://gcompris.net