[gcompris-devel] GCompris suggestion

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Tue Mar 3 20:58:54 UTC 2009

Le mardi 03 mars 2009 à 11:31 +1030, jeffery.billing at bigpond.com a
écrit :
> Personally I can see little value in a small baby bashing a keyboard
>  except to maybe reduce the life of the keyboard.

That's a good point.

> I think the programs, in GCompris, for teaching students to use the
>  mouse (erasing squares to reveal a picture) is brilliant. If a child
>  is not able to do this then I doubt that exposure to a computer is of
>  much value.

In the same keyboard / reading skill concept, I think with miss a
sticker activity. One in which an image is displayed and the child must
click on the keyboard with the first letter of the image.
Like Apple => A

> Is it possible to change these pictures (background) and if so how do you do it?

No, they are hard coded. We could make this configurable but I believe
that the image we have are good enough. I never heard children
complaining about that ;)

> If you can change the pictures then you could put picures of family
>  and pets into the system and this would make it more meaningful
>  for very young children.

Why not but really, its already very appealing to children, we don't
need to do more.

> Keep up the great work.

Thanks for the team.

--