[gcompris-devel] help needed

Yavor Doganov yavor at gnu.org
Fri Jan 9 12:12:24 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 04:49:08PM +0530, Ankit Sahai wrote:
> can u help me abt how can I add changes in an already build debian
> package??

You cannot.

> Actually I want to add punjabi files in gcompris??

Yeah, I already know that.

Easy way
========
Use my 8.4.8 (the latest stable release) packages from
http://gns.katsarov.org, Punjabi voices are included.  The binary
packages are built for gNewSense and most probably won't work directly
on a Debian system.  To rebuild them, do:

1) Get the source package and extract it.
$ dget -x http://gns.katsarov.org/gns/jungle/gcompris_8.4.8-gns2.dsc

2) Go to the source directory.
$ cd gcompris-8.4.8

3) Build the package.
$ debuild -us -uc

If it reports missing build dependencies, install them.

4) Install the built packages.
# dpkg -i ../gcompris...

Hard way
========
Modify the Debian source package and rebuild it.

1) Get the source package.
$ apt-get source gcompris

2) Go to the source directory.
$ cd gcompris-8.4.4

3) Copy the Punjabi voices (from GCompris SVN, etc.).  Here I assume
that the directory containing them is named "pa".
$ cp -a /path/to/your_voices_dir boards/voices

4) Verify step 3).
$ ls -R boards/voices/pa

5) Add the corresponding .files file, to be used by dh_movefiles.
$ echo 'usr/share/gcompris/boards/voices/pa' > debian/gcompris-sound-pa.files

6) Add the following to debian/control, separated from the entries of
the other binary packages with empty lines.  The order is not
significant.

Package: gcompris-sound-pa
Architecture: all
Recommends: gcompris
Depends: gcompris-data (= ${source:Version}), ${misc:Depends}
Provides: gcompris-sound
 GCompris is a collection of educational games for small children.
 .
 These are sounds used in some boards.

7) Build and install according to steps 3) and 4) from the "Easy way"
section.

Hope that helps.