[gcompris-devel] Sound Efects

Familia Serber familia.serber at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 18:22:02 UTC 2009

Hi,
I run the command:
$ LC_ALL=C gcompris --debug > debug.txt 2>&1

The truth is that this computer is desconnected from enything, no CD
burner, no Network Card (I removed everything after installation), so
it's a bit difficult to get the file from the PC (I'm still looking
for and old 1.44M diskette...)
However, I looked a bit into it and found two interesting lines that I
would need some help revolve (I suppose I'm missing some package or
the like). These are the lines:

gcompris: uri 'file://usr/share/gcompris/boards/sounds/beep.wav'
gcompris: don't know how to handle audio/x-wav

There were many lines regarding audio files beeing introduced in a
queue, some .ogg files and some .wav files. However, no error lines.
I checked the /usr/share/gcompris..../sounds directory and there are
many sound files over there.

I suppose that my system doesn't know how to play these files and
gcompris is relying the it to play them.

To explain a bit my system, because of memory, disk space and other
resource problems I installed a 'Basic System' debian lenny
installation, without a graphical interface and then added packages
with apt-get. I added the following packages (with their respective
dependences, as apt-get suggested):
xserver-xorg-core icewm idesk alsa-base alsa-utils linux-sound-base
xfonts-base xbase-clients mingetty

and apps:
gcompris gcompris-sound-es tuxpaint tuxpaint-stamps-default abiword wine

Thank you for your help!

Rabino Tuvia Serber
Beit Jabad La Plata
www.jabadlaplata.org.ar