[gcompris-devel] helping teachers with open source softwares

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Thu Feb 5 00:57:55 UTC 2009

Le mardi 03 février 2009 à 19:23 +0100, miguel a écrit :
> Here is a patch.
>
> This save custom data in user_dir and make a content.txt (a md5sum
> like file) listing custom files. Simply put this files in a web server
> to diffuse in classroom.
>
> GCompris clients are launch with --server and --cache-dir
> On start, client download content.txt from server.
>
> And when a client need a file:
> - first he search in server list (from content.txt)
>  - if found, he check md5 of file in cache_dir
>    - if md5 isn't ok, file is download in cache_dir
>    file in cache_dir is used
>  - if not found, search in package_dir (like now)

This is just perfect, congratulation. I tested on a web server and it
worked like a charm.

I saw only a minor annoyance, if there is no cache dir specified it does
not work but there is no log. I suggest to put the cache by default in
the 'Users dir'. anyway, this must be a writeable location and our files
are small enough not to worry a sysadmin.

Hum, another issue, if there is a single word in the list we enter an
infinite loop in the reading activity.

I removed the disabled 'word list' button in admin as its no more
relevant.

Of course, your patch is commited.

By the way, I have a regret not to have directed you towards the
gcomprixogoo branch because it's were the GCompris future is. I didn't
though you would make so many changes so fast and it won't merge easily
at least because the directory structure is very different.

--
Bruno Coudoin
http://gcompris.net  Free educational software for kids