[gcompris-devel] First experiments with GCompris

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Sun Apr 19 19:45:14 UTC 2009

Le mercredi 15 avril 2009 à 13:48 +0200, Ronny Standtke a écrit :
> Hi all
>
> My older daughter is now almost three years old and today was the first day
> when I showed her GCompris. I was really surprised that she instantly
> understood the erase activity. She really liked it and started experimenting
> with a combination of erasing (moving) and bringing back (clicking) the
> blocks. She was very proud when she managed to erase all blocks of a picture
> and recognized almost all animals in the activity. Then I run into the
> situation where the background picutre showed some strange animals on a tree
> and my daughter asked me what kind of animals they were.... I had no idea and
> no way to easily find out. How embarrassing! :-)

I think your daughter found a lemuridae:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemuridae

> How about adding a little text to each picture showing the name of the
> animal(s)?

That's a good idea and this is a very easy thing to do. Anybody willing
to provide a patch (the development version is in the branch
gcomprixogoo) ?

> The other activity she tried was clickanddraw. She was very excited when I
> showed her how this activity worked. Unfortunately, she always clicked when
> the whole mouse pointer was centered above the blue circle, not when the tip
> of the mouse pointer was on the center. This way she did not manage to click
> on the spots. I tried to explain to her the concept of the tip of the mouse
> pointer but she gave up in frustration.
> How about changing the mouse pointer in this activity into crosshairs?

Maybe you can try to run GCompris with the -c (--cursor) option that
disable the cute cursor and put the X default cursor instead.

Other option is to wait one week. Children learn really fast at this
age.

--
Bruno Coudoin
http://gcompris.net  Free educational software for kids