[gcompris-devel] First experiments with GCompris

Ronny Standtke Ronny.Standtke at gmx.net
Wed Apr 15 11:48:06 UTC 2009

Hi all

My older daughter is now almost three years old and today was the first day
when I showed her GCompris. I was really surprised that she instantly
understood the erase activity. She really liked it and started experimenting
with a combination of erasing (moving) and bringing back (clicking) the
blocks. She was very proud when she managed to erase all blocks of a picture
and recognized almost all animals in the activity. Then I run into the
situation where the background picutre showed some strange animals on a tree
and my daughter asked me what kind of animals they were.... I had no idea and
no way to easily find out. How embarrassing! :-)
How about adding a little text to each picture showing the name of the
animal(s)?

The other activity she tried was clickanddraw. She was very excited when I
showed her how this activity worked. Unfortunately, she always clicked when
the whole mouse pointer was centered above the blue circle, not when the tip
of the mouse pointer was on the center. This way she did not manage to click
on the spots. I tried to explain to her the concept of the tip of the mouse
pointer but she gave up in frustration.
How about changing the mouse pointer in this activity into crosshairs?

Regards

Ronny