[gcompris-devel] short ogg sounds

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Mon Feb 4 22:55:51 UTC 2008

Le lundi 04 février 2008 à 23:04 +0100, José Jorge a écrit :
> Bruno Coudoin a écrit :
> > Always the same problem. It seems impossible for a distribution to
> > package and test GCompris properly. There is always something wrong, the
> > sounds here, the translation there, the incompatible pysomething, ...
> >
> The problem is not in the distribution here, but in gstreamer that has
> always been very hard to use : incompatible API, etc.

Well, I don't agree. It's up to the distribution to make sure the
software it distributes works fine.

> The gstreamer problems are in ALL distributions!

I don't blame a particular distribution but the whole distribution
concept that fails to package us properly.

>  We should not depend on a thing that has so many problem,

Well, in case of audio playback, it's hard to get around the distro
because the user may have different audio playback, need LTSP support
and so on. It means we have to follow the distro installed software. In
our case, gstreamer is the right choice. We have to remember that
SDL_Mixer also created problem for certain cases.

>  or the other way round, we should use
> it like other applications : open a sound stream at startup, and keep it
> opened till the end, only inserting ogg streams in it
> . But maybe we already do it this way?

I don't know, there is perhaps a workaround we could implement in
GCompris. But by the time we make a new release with the fix and it find
it's way in the distro, the gstreamer bug you mention will probably have
been fixed.

> Or, finaly, let gcompris be huge, with all sounds as wav files? I prefer
> a bad solution than no solution...

I don't like this option, it's much better to ask for a gstreamer fix.

Another option, perhaps we could document a GCompris test suite to let
packagers know what to look for and not forget.