[gcompris-devel] RFC: improvements to the admin module for wordlist/wordgame and missing_letter

Jorge Mariano JMariano at 013.net
Sat Dec 20 09:28:07 UTC 2008

Hi everybody,

As I'm not a programmer, just a user I would like to submit a few ideas
to the programmers in order to improve Gcompris towards making the life
of the  teachers easier and for the students/users to be able to like it
more and learn more from it.

I've been thinking on ways to make more modular the way Gcompris is
working toward the boards WordGame and Missing_Letter.

A request I get from the teachers that I talk to is for them to be able
to change the content at will, so as to be able to fit their teachings.

Since Gcompris is using already .XML files I suppose that it would be
easy to modify the code to make it more teacher friendly.

here are a few ideas :

-= for wordgame =-
in module admin
   module wordgame
       option wordlist

make an  entry window/panel where you can :
 -  choose which level  [123456] to work on
 -  [add] [edit] [remove]
 - [save] [exit]
so that the teacher is able to choose the level he wants to work on,
then [add] new words, [edit] some words to make a variant of them or
[remove] the word from the list.
when he finishes the modifications he can then [save] the modifications
the the .XML file and [exit] the module.

-==-

-=for Missing_letter =-
in module admin
   module Missing_Letter
       option Letterlist

make an  entry window/panel where you can :
 -  choose which level  [123456] to work on
 -  [add] [edit] [remove]
 - [save] [exit]

For the [Add] option you will have to insert text with a _ where is the
missing letter followed by the options letters and the [picture] to show
for this entry. here you will have a button to press to go to the file
system of your computer to tell where to find the picture to copy and
attach to this entry.

when the teacher chooses to [save] , then the .XML file is saved and the
picture(s) is/are copied to the proper directory in Gcompris file system.

-==-

I hope that it will be some small modifications that will bring a lot of
smiles to the children faces

jorge