[gcompris-devel] help needed for making debian package

Yavor Doganov yavor at gnu.org
Tue Dec 16 20:00:26 UTC 2008

Ankit Sahai wrote:

> Actually I have gcompris-8.4.2.tar.gz

If you want to build a Debian package from it, fetch the Debian source
from snapshot.debian.net and make your modification to it.

Is there a specific reason to use 8.4.2?  The latest packaged version
in Debian is 8.4.4, see
http://packages.qa.debian.org/g/gcompris.html.  The latest upstream
release is 8.4.8.  You can get the Debian source of 8.4.4 and the
upstream 8.4.8 tarball and then update the files in /debian.

> #./configure
> #make

These two steps should not be performed as root.

> Now I want to make debian package of it.

This is impossible to explain in a single message, if you're starting
from scratch.  I think Thomas Petazzoni already showed the steps how
to package 8.4.8 based on the packaging of 8.4.8.

> #apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev
>
> *The output of this is enclosed as an attachment to this mail.

| libgtk2.0-dev: Depends: libgtk2.0-0 (= 2.8.20-7) but 2.12.5-2 is to
| be installed

Your system is not clean; apparently you have installed packages from
different repositories.  Where does 2.12.5-2 come from?  The version
of GTK+ in Etch is 2.8.20.