[gcompris-devel] GCompris port to the goocanvas.

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Thu Oct 18 21:57:51 UTC 2007

Le mercredi 17 octobre 2007 à 17:57 +0300, Terje Bergström a écrit :
> On 10/16/07, Bruno Coudoin <bruno.coudoin at free.fr> wrote:
>         My help_bg.svg is a little bit complex with several gradiant.
>         Could you
>         make a test. With inkscape create a new a more simple one,
>         starting with
>         a simple rectangle. We may find a good compromise there.
>
> I did the other way --- I took your help_bg.svg, removed the gradients
> and converted them to flat surfaces, saved and re-tried. Now the
> dialog pops up almost immediately! It looks like creating a
> lightweight SVG based skin could be the solution here.

I have a pending skin from Franck that I should package. It's a black
skin and it was based on the requirement to make an adult skin. GCompris
is used in hospitals for functional reeducation and we need to provide a
look more suitable for adults who feel sad to be trained with kiddy
software. This skin as probably too many gradient but as we have the
source SVG, it would be easy to remove them:
http://gcompris.net/incoming/black_skin.svg

> The other choice is to give the user feedback immediately when he
> clicks on a button. I.e. when a button is clicked, highlight it
> briefly. That way one second of wait can be tolerated much better, as
> the user gets immediate feedback and feels something is really
> happening. I think this could apply to whole gcompris to give always
> instantaneous feedback, and it would let the user know exactly which
> button he has clicked.

Why not but that's not as easy to do as it may seems. Let's try to
provide a simple skin, it's easier to do and more effective.

--
Bruno Coudoin
http://gcompris.net Free educational software for kids