[gcompris-devel] GCompris port to the goocanvas.

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Sun Oct 14 21:14:04 UTC 2007

I tested integrating goocanvas in GCompris, replacing libgnomecanvas and
libart_lgpl.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/goocanvas
http://library.gnome.org/devel/goocanvas/unstable/

The goocanvas is close enough to the gnomecanvas that we don't have to
break the code too much, it requires a lot of adaptations though.

This is a large change that requires a lot of little code change, some
can be automated, some not.

The advantage would be to have a clean cairo based canvas while sticking
to our programing model.

That does not solve the svg image rescaling but I posted the issue on
the goocanvas mailing list to see if they have a plan for that.

Terje, I would love to see the performance of it on the N800. To test
it:
svn co http://svn.gnome.org/svn/gcompris/branches/gcomprixogoo
sh autogen.sh && make (it will crash in src/boards)
cd src/goocanvas && sudo make install && cd ../..
cd src/gcompris && sudo make install && cd ../..

Important:
- You must have another GCompris installed in the same location so that
  images will be there.
- I kept the goocanvas dynamic linked so installation is mandatory

Only the GCompris core as been ported, Terje, you could test the exit
confirmation dialog to see how long it takes to be rendered.

--
Bruno Coudoin
http://gcompris.net Free educational software for kids