[gcompris-devel] Performance issues

Bruno Coudoin bruno.coudoin at free.fr
Sun Oct 7 12:38:16 UTC 2007

Le dimanche 07 octobre 2007 à 15:26 +0300, Terje Bergström a écrit :
> On Sunday 07 October 2007 14:56:33 Terje Bergström wrote:
> > I get a printout in display_confirm() at beginning, and after about half a
> > second in the end of display_confirm(). After this it still takes three
> > seconds for the display to pop up. I don't yet know what happens during
> > those three seconds, or how to even find out.
>
> I did come up with one possible slowdown.
>
> gcompris has one root canvas, and when a confirmation query is displayed, its
> canvas items are put to the same tree of canvas items as the main canvas.
> This could mean that there is a large amount of canvas items in one item tree
> and this causes slowdown.

I believe we don't have so many items that it could explain the lag
here.

> If I figure out how to, I'll try putting confirmation query to a new window
> (or Gtk frame?) and see if libgnomecanvas can handle that better.

This would probably work but it requires code changes. There are
probably an easier fix to do in our internal gnomecanvas. I know there
has been refresh issues. It's even a major issue on the macosx port
based on imendio gtk.

--
Bruno Coudoin
http://gcompris.net Free educational software for kids