[gcompris-devel] Performance issues

Terje Bergström terje at terje.fi
Wed Oct 3 05:12:52 UTC 2007

On 10/1/07, Bruno Coudoin <bruno.coudoin at free.fr> wrote:

> Le dimanche 30 septembre 2007 à 13:29 +0300, Terje Bergström a écrit :
> > One thing I notice is that the plugins are scanned every time I go
> > back to
> > menu. So I'm getting error messages about missing python, and missing
> > libshapegame.so often. Perhaps this scanning is making actions slow?
> If I remember the scanning is done once but each time we get an activity
> for which we don't have a plugin we probably try again.

I now filtered out all python activities. One thing that I immediately
noticed was that gcompris gave the same errors as before, i.e. couldn't load
activity xxx.xml, even though xxx.xml didn't exist anymore. I was pretty
confused about this. Anyway, in the end I noticed that this was due to
database .config/gcompris/ in still referring to the activities that don't
exist anymore. I guess I have to add a post-install script to remove that
database when a new activities package is installed. Ubuntu packages don't
delete that file, either, so they might end up with same problem.

I removed that file, disabled all sounds to make sure they don't affect
performance, and this time when I'm changing between activity menus (like
from the second with keyboard and mouse activities to the first with puzzle
activities), I still get more than three seconds of lag. The lag is there
also when I click on "exit" before the confirmation query pops up, or when I
click on preferences and before preferences window opens. The news is that
during those three seconds plus there are absolutely no debug outputs. Does
this mean that those three seconds are spent building the canvas? I know
absolutely nothing about gnomecanvas, so I'm not sure if I'm using the
correct term here.

By the way, I have released the first port of gcompris 8.4 for maemo. There
are still problems, but the list is much shorter than the list of problems I
had with my earlier port.

Best regards,
Terje