[gcompris-devel] Performance issues

Terje Bergström terje at terje.fi
Tue Oct 2 04:59:59 UTC 2007

On 10/1/07, Bruno Coudoin <bruno.coudoin at free.fr> wrote:

> I get a warning and we don't accept them:
> 916: warning : declaration without effect

The macro expands to a function call, not a declaration, so I'm not entirely
sure what this warning means or how to fix it.

What compiler version are you using? Maemo is using and old gcc (3.4), so
this might be  the reason for different behaviour. gcc 4.x is a bit more
strict about the code it accepts. It might also be that we compile with
different compiler flags.

Are you sure this is needed ? I can't reproduce the issue, geography
> works fine without it.

The paintings puzzle will not load without this patch Maemo.
libshapegame.sowill have an unresolved symbol (
gnome_canvas_polygon_get_type).

> Sometimes compilers optimize away variables and adding volatile makes
> > gcc not to do that. I could try without.
> It doesn't matter in our case unless the optimizer is so good that it find
> out that this code is useless and strip it. It worked for me without
> volatile.

Ok, I'll try.

If I remember the scanning is done once but each time we get an activity
> for which we don't have a plugin we probably try again.
> I agree we should mark the activity unplayable and not try a second time
> but it happens only on broken GCompris where we fail to load a plugin.
> It should not be an issue in the field.

Ok, so you think I should remove all the plugins which depend on python from
the gcompris package? Is there an easy way to identify them? The delay I'm
getting is approximately four seconds, so I'd really like to get this out.

Best regards,
Terje