[gcompris-devel] Introduction, and money in the game

Samuel Murray leuce at absamail.co.za
Wed Aug 22 05:07:49 UTC 2007

Yves Combe wrote:

> All countries have decimal money ? No more sterling of 1/240 of pounds ?

Most countries that I know of, have decimal money, but not all countries
have the same coins.  For example:

ZA coins:
1c, 2c, 5c, 10c, 20c, 50c, R1, R2, R5 (I think it's called the Roman
system or something, because it follows the Roman numericals)
ZA notes:
R10, R20, R50, R100, R200

UK coins:
1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, £1, £2
UK notes:
£1 (only Scotland and Channel Islands), £5, £10, £20

USA coins:
1c, 5c, 10c, 25c.  The 10c isn't called "10c" (it doesn't even have the
number "10" on it, but the word "dime"), and the 25c isn't called "25c"
(it is called "quarter dollar", and that is also the wording used on the
coin itself).  So an American child might not associate a coin with "10"
on it with the US 10c coin.
USA notes:
$1, $5, $10, $20

So the ZA and the UK have the same intervals between coins and notes,
but different values are coins and notes.  The USA system follows the
same system for its notes, but not for its coins.

Samuel